What weight shall it be?

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:13:49 -0800

I would be lying if I said I didn't already have my own opinion.  But I =
am interested to hear what people say because it is one of those very =
subtle problems compounded by the difficulty of knowing what we are =
feeling and communicating it.

This is also one of those problems where the solution pushes the =
envelope of what is advisable.  I believe that she is responding to the =
low friction in the flanges.  However that is not something I want to =
duplicate for various reasons.  I also think that the higher balance =
weight is acceptable only because of the low friction: i.e. it is more =
the downweight that appeals to her (along with the accompanying high =
upweight perhaps).=20

The solution I plan to employ is to use a shank/flange assembly that has =
relatively low friction to begin with.  That means Abel instead of =
Renner.  These flanges, I find, tend to be lower in friction and react =
less to humidity changes.  I will sort them carefully.  I will use a =
hammer that is relatively low weight (similar to what is on there) so as =
not to increase friction by virtue of higher strike weight.  Lubricate =
everything else as much as possible to see if I can't exchange some =
increased friction in the flange with lower friction somewhere else.  I =
will lower the balance weight to the degree that there is an increase in =
friction so that the downweight remains somewhat the same.  My usual =
default on balance weight is 38 grams.  But I will always choose a BW =
depending on the friction in the system.  A system with lower friction =
will need a higher balance weight and vice versa.  Too much friction, =
though, can lower the upweight too much if you compensate by lowering =
the BW.  If I can get the friction to 10 - 11 grams in the middle, that =
would allow me a BW of 39 - 40 grams on this particular instrument. =20

In a situation like this, I think there is no perfect solution.  To =
duplicate what is there exactly would be a mistake because of other =
problems that accompany having no friction in the flange.  The best =
solution will have to be a compromise and an attempt to most closely =
match what is there without sacrificing the performance of the parts.  =
In this case, I think it will require a lowering of the balance weight =
to compensate for the effects of a slight increase in friction. =20

At least that's what I think today.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20