"Free" is not always free (long)

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 20:43:34 -0800

I brought home a very expensive free piano late last night.  This is an =
old piano that my step father had acquired decades ago in Texas and then =
transported to California.  Eventually this piano found it's way to a =
garage about one mile from the central California coast where it rested =
on it's side on a cold concrete floor for the better part of 13 years.

In an effort to "clean out the garage" I was offered to take the piano =
home at no cost to me.  I was planning the trip for Christmas anyway so =
the timing was right.  The specimen in question is a 1930s-ish Wurlitzer =
baby grand.  The piano had already been bought and resold who knows how =
many times, ultimately passing through a dealer somewhere in it's =
history who painted across the agraffs in attempt to make it look =
better.  As I recalled from when it was last on it's feet the pins were =
fairly loose.  But what the heck, it's not costing me anything right?  =
Bring it home, some minimal patch work, make a couple thousand dollars =
selling it to someone who's looking for some furniture.  Well....

First I would need a trailer.  I called U-Haul and arranged a one-way =
rental.  One problem:  The trailer wasn't there.  "No problem", I was =
told.  Two were due in and should arrive shortly.  They didn't.  Several =
calls later and it was still not there.  Then finally one came in...  =
with a bad tire.  Long story short, I didn't get a trailer till the next =
morning.  I arrived at the garage where the piano was stored only to =
discover a mountain of junk in front of it.  You would have never known =
there was a piano behind it all.  After digging it out the piano was =
absolutely covered with dirt and grime.  It's only protection from the =
floor was an old piece of 3/8" plywood, (the lid had been removed).  I =
put two legs and the lyre on it to set it up temporarily in order to get =
a skid board under it.  One of the lyre screws was stripped out so I had =
to improvise.  Then I discovered that the piano was too tall to fit in =
the trailer on a skid board.  It had to be pushed in without a skid on =
plywood.  Hard work, but done.  I loaded a few other pieces of furniture =
I intended to take home, strapped it all down tightly, and closed the =
doors.

Sunday morning the weather was REAL bad.  It had rained all night and =
the roads where very wet.  The main obstacle between California the =
Nevada desert is Tehachapi pass, a huge mountain that I would have to =
tow the trailer up and over.  After a rather uneventful couple hundred =
miles I approached the grade.  We climbed.... and climbed... and =
climbed.  Slowly the rain turned to snow...  wet and slushy snow.  =
Visibility deteriorated.  Suddenly I felt something was very wrong.  I =
couldn't steer straight and suddenly got that "disaster" feeling when I =
realized the truck was hydroplaning on the icy road.  I quickly let up =
on the gas and took a deep breath when I felt the tires grip the road =
again.  I crawled up the grade keeping it at about 40 MPH in an effort =
to try to stay in control.  It took a full hour at that speed to reach =
the top.  Fortunately the laws of meteorology stood firm as the weather =
immediately cleared and dried out on the wayward side of the mountain.  =
No further events other than exhaustion and by late evening I made it =
home.  I called Alan Meyer and this morning we pushed, pulled, and =
strained the thing off the trailer and into my garage.

Upon closer examination this thing will require a LOT of work to turn it =
back into a piano again.  The stings and multiple other metallic =
surfaces are rusted badly from the salt air.  It will undoubtedly need a =
new pin block.  The finish is a beyond repair and will require complete =
stripping.  Fortunately the soundboard and bridges look pretty good so =
long as it survives the drying out process in the Las Vegas environment. =
 Okay fine, it didn't cost anything did it?  I mean it was free and all =
wasn't it?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV