[OT] Aural versus ETD tuning training

Nichols nicho@cybermesa.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:17:35 -0700

At 03:41 PM 12/30/2002 -0600, you wrote:

>>I would say the same for piano technicians and having some
>>understanding about how to play a piano...
>>
>>David I.
>

>Absolutely!
>
>Ron N

One of the problems there is that the accomplished pianist plays "with" the
piano, and is relying almost solely on the feedback of the particular
playmate, with whom they've played before, and have expectations for the
playmates' attitude. The "amateur" player (but professional tech) just
cannot really sense the music in quite the same way. Which is a good thing,
in a way, but gets in the way of understanding why a particular piece on a
particular piano isn't turning the pianist on the way the pianist would
like. We play "on" the piano, and the pianist.... well... we watch it every
day... y'know... it's almost embarrassing to watch, sometimes, because of
the intimacy involved.
    How hard is for other techs to practice? You know, because every little
"wrong" thing on our own piano gets in the way? Focusing on the practice,
instead of the piano, really ticks me off. That's why I don't attend every
concert I tune for. (unless required) I wind up listening to the piano
instead of the music. I really love it when the instrument is all it needs
to be for the artist, or student, or church pianist, or whomever. THAT's
when I can hear the music.

Happy New Year,
Guy

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon