Customer question

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:25:05 -0500

In a message dated 12/30/2002 1:35:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, swidmer@rochester.rr.com writes:

> I could use some input on the following situation.  I did a pitch raise on a
> Baldwin Acrosonic the other day and also replaced a broken spring.  The
> customer just called back and said she had a sticking key and wanted me to
> come fix it (without charge).  Obviously I have not been clear enough about
> what is "included" in a tuning call and what should be considered a new
> service call request.  I have a feeling this lady will have a lot of things
> go wrong with this piano since it was not maintained properly for many years
> and just keep calling pretty much forever asking me to stop by without
> charge for "little things" that are wrong.
>
> 1) Any suggestions for this particular situation.
>
> 2) How can I delineate what is and what is not included in
> a regular tuning
> appointment (re:  repairs, etc)
>
> Thanks for the help.   Sherry

Sherry

This is a very common problem with many of us. Unfortunately, some customers think that "tuning a piano" includes fixing everything that is wrong. And what makes it even more frustrating, is that the customer neglects to tell us about a problem until several days later, assuming we will notice it when we tune the piano.

If this is the first time with this customer, stop by, at your convenience, and fix any small problem that might be wrong. This is called "good customer relations". If the repair is major, (if you have to remove the action to fix the problem), before you proceed, explain that you will need to charge her for a service call, because this problem was not there when you tuned the piano. If she balks at paying you, or makes a comment that lets you believe she is not going to pay you for your service, just close up the piano and tell her to get another tuner. If she wants the problem fixed, she'll have to pay someone to fix it.

If she calls again, to fix the "little thing", tell her on the phone it will cost her a service charge. I know it sounds "mean", but sometimes you have to get firm with some of these people. Otherwise they will take advantage of you as long as you let them.

Good luck

Wim