Tuning Time

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:57:48 EST

In a message dated 12/29/02 6:47:44 PM Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> I use Verituner and I usually take between 45 - 60 minutes to do a normal
> tuning at a comfortable pace.  The variation often has to do with how well
> the tuning pins render.  I can certainly go faster if I need to and make a
> point of it for institutional type of work.  When I was tuning aurally I
> took a good 15 - 20 minutes longer.  For a concert or recording studio
> tunings I usually take more time to do an additional pass, maybe 10 - 15
> minutes.  The key to speed is hammer technique.
>
> David Love

I'd say I agree with this on every point.  While I may spend as much as an
hour on a 3 pass concert tuning, I have my ordinary home tunings down to 35
minutes for 2 passes.  I usually think that I can use an ETD and get it done
faster but when I'm really in a pinch, it just slows me down.  Experience,
perception and technique are all keys to speed.
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin