Hearing the difference

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:02:21 -0700

OK.. Time for my humble opinions, work-tested over thousands of pianos,
and over the last 12 years for increasingly world-class and
discriminating players and venues.

First:  thank you, Ric Moody and Ed Foote, for the lively discussion
excerpted below; thanks, ric, for the excerpts.

My method of tuning is the simplest, most elegant one I've found or heard
of.  It harks back to the earliest direction I was given as a young
apprentice.  It's an essential part of Virgil Smith's work.
My speculation is that it was stumbled upon, or discovered, sometime in
the late 18th or early 19th century.

Here it is:  allow all the fourths on the piano to beat wide, or sharp,
in a slow, relaxed way, somewhere between .5 and 1.2 bps.

That's it. That's all there is to it.  If you can do that----if you can
trust that it works, and train your ear to hear the slow, "true" beats of
the fourth through the garbage beats, false beats, and string noise; if
you can be patient, and play the interval, and wait 4 or 5 seconds for
the "true, slow" beat to appear, you can tune a musical, colorful,
exciting, beautifully resonant tuning every single time, and have a lot
of fun doing it.  As you get better at this, your ear becomes more and
more precise; you start hearing everything better; your unisions get a
LOT better; the piano sounds like a recording, like your earliest tonal
memories of listening to pianos on record or the radio---all tuned by
aural, "natural tone"
tuners, if you're older than 40----your voicing skills radically improve;
you feel powerful and successful because you're able to make a piano
sound like the Old Masters.

All the tests you've been taught work out with this system:
"beatless" double, triple, quadruple, and quintuple octaves
progressively faster thirds and sixths as you go up the piano
contiguous thirds
progressively faster tenths and seventeenths as you go up the piano
all fifths narrow, or flat, and barely, s l o w l y rolling
all arpeggiated major triads sound pleasing and "profoundly" in tune

The sound of the piano rings, or blooms, in a way that it didn't prior to
the tuning.
The treble is perceived as having more sustain.
The bass is perceived as having "more fundamental, more bottom end."

It's almost impossible for me to believe that people weren't using this
system 200 years ago, because it's so simple, so musically elegant, so
precise, so easy.
Imagine----there have always been gifted, passionate, musical tuners.
Were they any less dedicated, intelligent, or motivated in 1810? Were
their ears any less attuned to beauty and balance?

I'm not a historian of temperaments and tuning, although it fascinates
me.  This just seems obvious to me.  I've spoken about my system before
on this list and created several flurries of consternation and curiosity.
 I would love to challenge both "master" ETD tuners and "master" HT
tuners to come and hear the pianos I tune, and measure away.  It would be
tremendous fun.  I would supply the world-class pianos, the food, and the
alcohol.  It would be a great party, recorded aurally and visually for
posterity.

Ed Foote?
Ric Moody?
Andre(Antares)?
Jon Page?
Brekne?
Whoevah?

How's winter where you are?  Here, it's 66 degrees F., sunny, slight
breeze from the ocean;
it rained some last week, so everything's sparkling.

Thanks, list, for the inspiration and the education.

David Andersen
Malibu, CA