Standard pitch in 1850?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 00:06:27 -0800

Terry et al,
There was NOT any standard pitch in the 1850"! However, if you would like to
know what/how pitch varied, from country to country, city to city, then
purchase Helmholz (sp?) In the back of the book, is a whole plethora of
information regarding pitch. (Do consider when the book was written!)
Because the piano you are going to work on is English, I have found a nice
compromise pitch for English, is 425cps. This was gleaned by perusing
Helmholz and sort of averaging. Also, it is an easy and safe pitch to set,
as it is 60cents flat of Modern A=440cps and there actually are tuning forks
available for this pitch, from Fletcher & Newmann, Ltd., in England. If they
have it then there must be a few people that share/use that pitch. If the
piano is mechanically sound, it should take that pitch w/o overstressing the
less-than-perfect metallurgy of that time. (Hmmm?,Metallurgy still ain't
perfect, but it is getting better and wider in it's scope. <G>)
Merry Christmas to All,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)