Aural versus ETD tuning training

Thu, 26 Dec 2002 02:55:58 +0100

Comments below.

kam544@gbronline.com wrote:

> This is a horse you've been riding for a long time, Richard. And
> unfortunately, clichés like 'dimes difference' will never be adequate
> to convey what is really being said either.

Exactly my point, and I see no reason to make such statements as a
result.

> The key word Jim used here is *skilled*.

I found it rather lost in the rest of his post. The whole thing seemed
quite defensive in nature as to the viability of ETD tunings, which I
never questioned... quite the opposite really.

> Now in my mind that encompasses whatever it takes to make an event
> happen. As I see it, Richard, you on the other hand, in response to
> Jim's post, are somehow maintaining that being skilled is not
> sufficient.

Now I know you are quite capable of reading more carefully then this
Keith. Of course "maintaining that skill is not sufficient" has
absolutly zip diddly to do with my post.

> However, if that is not your position, there really doesn't seem to
> be a reason to beg to differ as I can hardly imagine anyone on this
> list disagreeing with the fact that being skilled in the performance
> of a given tuning task is an extremely, desirable asset, regardless
> of method of employment or equipment used.

I dont really see how this relates to my response either. I debate the
whole validity of this continuing "value debate" about ETDs and Aural
tunings. I certainly debate the value of the so called Tuneoffs in
providing us with any fundemental insights relative to the question they
were to address, and I maintain that my own traveling into the ETD world
has demonstrated quite clearly the real and significant differences
between what the (skilled) ETD accomplishes and what the (skilled) Ear
does. And to repeat... I fail to see that any of this should be anything
other then facsinating new ground to traverse. Why it should wake such
fervour, aggravation, and conflict amoung so many really puzzles me. I
mean... whats the point of that ? Or perhaps one subscribes to the idea
that there is nothing more to learn ??

> Winding down and wrapping up old business,

I would say that the whole thing opens up a whole new field of play
myself.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.