Aural versus ETD tuning training

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:15:14 -0800 (PST)

learning to tune aurally, I have the following statement.

One of my students who started with the SAT III in Jan 2002 tuned
for his first Concert Prep in Mar 2002. His work was liked so much
that he has replaced a 20 year aural tuner at this venue. He works
for a dealer who is a fine classically trained pianist who can
really hear. This tuner is now the preferred tuner at that dealership.
Oh yes, he also has "perfect pitch" in the commonly accepted
understanding of that term. It took a few weeks to get him to not
depend upon the "perfect pitch" while tuning. His aural unisons are
impeccable. His aural sense of balancing out the stretch of the
octaves is quite acceptable now. He is beginning to work on aural
temperament. In his last session with me he tuned a perfect 7 pbs
for the F3-A3 M3rd upon his first attempt. In another few weeks he
should have the temperament down to a fine degree. Of course he has
the SAT III as an ever present tutor.

For those who are new to the pianotech list, I had thought that
with the demonstrations of the "Tuneoffs" a few years ago we would
not need to rehash this argument about the superiority of Aural vs
ETD tuning. There is not a dime's worth of difference with those
skilled in either method. And the beginning ETD user has a
definiteadvantage over the beginning aural tuner. While it may be
true in
some instances that some ETD users never really become good tuners,
the same can definitely be said about some aural tuners.

Jim Coleman, Sr.