New Tuner

Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:14:14 +0100

Hi Chris

I am sure that most folks who actaully have looked closely at the
development of aural skills in tuners who start out with a machine would
share your concerns. Yet I believe its quite possible to learn
effectively and quickly with a machine, if one first applies appropriate
learning techniques. It is, however, unfortunate that in the whole
history of these devices so little emphasis has been placed on using
them to develope aural skills in tuners of all levels. Perhaps this is
reflective of a desire to replace the aural tuner, or perhaps its just
general laziness that drives the market for these things in one
particular direction, I am not sure. In anycase, its too bad as it is my
believe that one of the major potential strengths of the ETD is exactly
learning how to tune aurally.

RicB