OT -- Laptop batteries

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:16:33 -0500

Don,
         Less than a year ago i bought a battery off of E-Bay and found
that it held just about as much charge as the one it was supposed to
replace. This was less than I had hoped for. I e-mailed the guy who sold it
to me and to his credit he promptly shipped out another one. This second
effort was only slightly better than the first. For almost a year now i
have been carrying around 3 semi - chargable Lithium Ion batteries which,
when new, should give me a usable time of about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. 3
Batteries are getting kinda heavy. Where would I find such a "battery
depot"? Your not talking about Radio Shack are you? they seem to be getting
more worthless with each passing year.
         I pried open one of these packs for my Toshiba Satellite and found
9 (I think) cells that look about the size of AA's and they're all soldered
together. Are you saying that such a "battery depot" would solder in new
ones for me? Wow! That would be great!!! I'm thinking that the reason I got
the 2 low life ones from e - Bay is that they were nearer the end of their
shelf life than the beginning. It would seem that such a "battery depot"
might have fresher stock. please forward whatever info you may have. I've
nursed this laptop along this far. I see no reason to stop now.  Thanks!

Greg Newell