Pain, (was Hearing the difference)

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 12:27:33 -0600

Dave Porritt said " I don't really need something to "draw me in" to music.
I'm not a  casual listener.  Music playing while I'm doing something else is
quite a distraction -- as I want to listen rather than do what I'm supposed
to be doing.  If I'm listening to our classical station here when I'm
driving, I find I need to listen to the end of the piece  before I can turn
off the car and go about my business.  I've been  late to things many times
because of this delay.  I'm also not as good a driver when music is playing,
so for safety's sake, I usually leave the radio off."

AMEN and Halleluiah ... I thought it was just me. This exactly describes me.
Usually don't listen to the stereo unless I am home alone ... and as soon as
someone walks in they say "It's too loud" and/or they want to start talking
to each other or, worse, to me! I am a very extraverted person but when it
comes to music I want to hear it as though I were at the concert and I want
to be totally involved in it. "Background music" simply sucks ... especially
that uptempo, bland crap they play in so many stores and restaurants.

As the late, great Victer Borge said: "I know it's supposed to make cows
give more milk, but how much more can they get out of you in an elevator."

I think people who can chat while listening to--or walk away from--"The
Great Gate at Kiev," the Largo from Dvorak's 9th, most of Chopin, most of
Mozart, and many, many other pieces of inspired music, simply have no
soul--or at best they are sure missing a great gift of the Spirit, being
unable to feel and appreciate the joy and passion of such music.

Okay, your a 1/2 mile from the next client and running 20 minutes late. On
"Classic 99", the trombone has just entered Bolero on that sweet, high
B-flat ..... what do you do, what DO you do?

"Sorry, Lady, my dog unexpectedly had kittens and I had to change a flat
tire and ..."

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO