3 gorgeous 1890's Knabe uprights for sale, unrestored.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:09:36 -0600

>Perhaps that is a good point Richard that I should consider more closely.
>Regarding the six Bs I service, the only one that is in a home is the
>restrung 1904 that is OK. All the others are in churches and performance
>halls. And yes, you are right, these institutional pianos do certainly see
>much harsher environmental conditions. Hmmmmm.
>
>OK, that will shut me up from Steinway bashing..............for a while.  ;-)
>
>Terry Farrell
>Tail Tucked Between Legs.

Don't tuck just yet Terry. What was the condition of climate control in the
average house from, say, 1890 to 1950, compared to climate control
conditions in the average church or institution from 1950 to present? I've
tuned a lot of pianos in 80+ year old houses (and much newer ones too)
where the piano was in the "music room", distinguished by being unheated
and uncooled (except for what leaked in around the closed doors) until
someone wanted to go in and play.

You know without a doubt that those 1890s Knabes weren't pampered in a
stable heat and humidity environment for most, if any, of their lives.
Climate control conditions that outrage us now were as good as it got for
most of the pianos still out there when they were new.

Let's quit excusing the piano and blaming the climate control for
everything we find wrong with a piano and start expecting pianos to be more
realistically durable under real world conditions. No, that doesn't mean
they should last forever, but they ought to last a few years under
reasonable care and still sound like pianos.

And I thoroughly disagree with the concept that pianos deteriorate because
of lack of service, and won't if they are adequately serviced. They will
deteriorate at the rate, and in the manner dictated by their materials,
design, construction, and yes, climate.

But that's just my opinion.

Ron N