Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:05:06 EST

. Peter writes> >>
>> The question is if I think ?:-)
>>
>> 1)I have experienced now that compression crowned boards loose very much
>> crown by unstressing them; so if you want to work this method you should
>> carefully dry the panel so the wood will swell and taking crown by the
>> change of humidity.  And you also have to "overbend" the ribs to keep some
>> crown after a few days, weeks.  That's the only way to be shure to keep
>> some crown.

         Peter.
       This is NOT  the only sure way to keep some crown. Its not at all
Even if you over bend the ribs it isn't going to help all that much In
creating or maintaining any crown. With the / your compression crowned method
that uses flat ribs, 98% of the total amount of crown achieved will be caused
by the moisture absorption of the panel after the ribs are glued on in the
dried state and then reabsorbing  ambient moisture again.
     If you're really hung up using the method then cut a 60 ft. radius crown
on your press bars and go for it. But since your starting over why not make a
fixture to cut some crown in the ribs themselves before they are glued on to
the board. It sound like you're  interested in having  a stable reliable
crown and resultant good tonal experience but I'm not sure you're listening
or if there is a language gap going on here. For sure you need to grasp the
bigger picture before you proceed and from your above post you have started
to grasp the important points of what all of us have been saying but you need
to go a step further down the road before you will get to your final
destination.
   For the record let me say again, because I don't think you heard it, that
a Pure compression crowned soundboard method is far more destructive to the
wood cells and an extensive  loss of crown will happen Way sooner. So if this
is what you want be advised.
      Rib crowning methods require less drying of the panel and a  crowned
rib of appropriate thickness and radius  insures longer term crown with much
slower crown loss and wood cell destruction.
       Regards and good luck
        Dale Erwin