Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:34:12 -0500

Hopefully others will provide some input for some of your other questions, but one thing caught my attention in your post. You wrote:

".....and placing new crowned ones, drying the board and the ribs carefully to a MC as low as possible and then gluing and clamping them together."

Drying the board as much as possible will permanently damage the wood. It is not difficult to dry the board WAY BEYOND that desired. Most soundboard designs call for a EMC of 4.5% to 6% for rib glue-up. I think the compression crowned boards will tend to the lower end of that range and the rib crowned boards will tend to the upper range.

Terry Farrell