[ctuner] Brahms & Well Temperament

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:02:21 EST

In a message dated 12/19/02 9:01:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tvak@aol.com
writes:

> In the July 2002 PTG Journal there's a letter to the editor from Edwin M.
> Good, who is the author of Giraffes, Black Dragons, and Other Pianos. In
> his letter he mentions that his piano has been tuned in a 19th century well
> temperament for 11 years now, and that he enjoys the sound of Brahm's music
> with that temperament.
>
> I am especially fond of Brahms's music and would love to hear this
> particular temperament. Does anyone know who tunes Mr. Good's piano? I'm
> hoping whoever that tuner is, is an RCT user and will share the temperament
> with us.
>
> Thank you for your attention and help.
>
> Sincerely,

It's interesting that you noted Brahms' music as influential.  As it is
written in my website under the "Origins of the EBVT", it was an artist
playing Brahms on a piano tuned in the Rameau-Rousseau-Hall 18th Century
Modified Meantone Temperament which caught my attention and from that moment
on, had me choosing something other than ET to tune the piano.

The EBVT is actually a highly mitigated version of that 18th Century
temperament which can be tuned accurately by ear since it is one of the Equal
Beating Temperaments.  I also produced a representative 18th Century and
early 19th Century version of it.  These Modified Meantone type Temperaments
sound very similar to Well Tempered Tunings and can be used as substitutes
for them (something which Jorgensen encourages).  It is found in the little
known second publication by Owen Jorgensen called, "The Equal Beating
Temperaments-A Handbook for Tuning Harpsichords and Fortepianos..."

While I know that any of Brahms' music would sound wonderfully harmonious in
the EBVT, or either of the above 3 mentioned Modified Meantone Temperaments,
my suggestion of a Well Tempered Tuning for you would be the Jean Jousse Well
Tempered Tuning of 1832.  Below are the cents deviations taken directly from
Owen Jorgensen's book, "Tuning":

A    0.00
G#  +3.89
G    +2.68