Schimmel upright damper pedal squeak

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:17:10 -0600

On some uprights there is a fake damper lever with an extra strong
spring.  This is to insure the lift bar is held down away from the
levers.   I would be surprised if this were in Schimmel.  Anyhow,
this can squeek.  To find out, hold it off the lift bar and press
the pedal.  This "prehensile" lever is at the bass and tenor
break.
    The other squeaks that sound like spoons can come from the
lift rod arms, or brackets or whatever they are called.  I would
use protek clp because it penetrates better than powders.   If it
comes back sooner than 6  months then replacing the felt in
contact is the next step although I would give clp a second
chance.

  I need some advice on eliminating a squeak from my customer's
Schimmel upright, serial #332199.   This will be my second
callback on the problem.   At first, the noise seemed to be coming
from a bit of debris between one of the spoons and the lifter rod,
but a few hours after I left, the problem recurred.   I went back
and once again tried to isolate where the squeak was coming from.
At first, it sounded like it was near the pedal rod to action
connection, but then it seemed to be at the pedal itself.   I took
the pedal bracket apart and lubricated the pins and tightened
everything down.   There seemed to be some space between the pedal
rod and the plastic bracket allowing some movement, but not enough
space to insert even a thin cardboard punching.   I thought I had
really found the problem in the metal ring that connects the pedal
and trap lever.   I lubricated every moving part I could find with
either Protek or Prolube.   I played the pedal about 400 times,
had the customer play a couple of songs, and the squeak was gone.
We were very relieved.   Yesterday, two weeks and one day since my
last visit, the customer called complaining that the squeak is
back.   I would appreciate any and all advice for my appointment
with her tomorrow either via the list or to my email account,
LadyPianoTuner.com.  Thank you one and all.
  Sincerely, Robin Flint, Hull, MA