Bridgetop Extravaganza Revisited

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:58:49 -0600

Hi Steve,
A couple of questions...

>     It's definitely quartersawn.  I don't think it's a candidate for
> recapping for two reasons.  The board is dead flat across the bass bridge
> and lower tenor bridge (as measured from the top and confirmed on the
> bottom).  Also I have learned the piano was purchased by the client new
> some 16 yrs ago.

So since the board is flat, it's not worth recapping, but it's otherwise
worth overhaul and restringing with the old board? What about the cap
damage you reported? And it's not considered a candidate for recapping
because it's "only" 16 years old (17, actually, with a 1985 SN)?

>I have no intention of condemning this piano.  It sounded ok before.

But it's not being condemned, it's being restrung even though it sounded ok
before? Is the damaged cap the reason for the restringing? And if so, why
the reluctance to replace it? If not, why is it being restrung?

>Not spectacular bass but I have heard much worse.

But ok.

>I'm anticipating tight new bridge pins are going to contribute to tonal
>improvement up higher.

Why, considering the condition of the cap and resulting bearing measurements?

>     I'm wondering about the bearing in the bottom of the piano.  How it
> was originally set.  Strung it showed a full 1.5 deg across the bass
> bridge and almost nothing on the bottom two feet of the tenor
> bridge.(also no front bearing in both of these locations)  Is this what
> flattened out the tail ?

Possibly.

>If I relieve some of the bearing across the bass bridge will this improve
>the situation?

Maybe, maybe not.

Ron N