Schimmel upright damper pedal squeak

John M. Formsma jformsma@fortunehitech.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:21:20 -0600

Robin,

I had a similar problem with a Yamaha vertical. It ended up being a worn
felt bushing between the base of the pedal prop and pedal.

Isolate, isolate, isolate.

John Formsma

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of GirlPianoTuner@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 8:45 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Schimmel upright damper pedal squeak

  I need some advice on eliminating a squeak from my customer's Schimmel
upright, serial #332199.   This will be my second callback on the problem.
At first, the noise seemed to be coming from a bit of debris between one of
the spoons and the lifter rod, but a few hours after I left, the problem
recurred.   I went back and once again tried to isolate where the squeak was
coming from.   At first, it sounded like it was near the pedal rod to action
connection, but then it seemed to be at the pedal itself.   I took the pedal
bracket apart and lubricated the pins and tightened everything down.   There
seemed to be some space between the pedal rod and the plastic bracket
allowing some movement, but not enough space to insert even a thin cardboard
punching.   I thought I had really found the problem in the metal ring that
connects the pedal and trap lever.   I lubricated every moving part I could
find with either Protek or Prolube.   I played the pedal about 400 times,
had the customer play a couple of songs, and the squeak was gone.   We were
very relieved.   Yesterday, two weeks and one day since my last visit, the
customer called complaining that the squeak is back.   I would appreciate
any and all advice for my appointment with her tomorrow either via the list
or to my email account, LadyPianoTuner.com.  Thank you one and all.
  Sincerely, Robin Flint, Hull, MA