Bridgetop Extravaganza Revisited

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:44:31 -0500

"The board is dead flat across the bass bridge and lower tenor bridge (as measured from the top and confirmed on the bottom)."

Is this measured with strings on and up to pitch? Or is it flat with no strings. What is crown in other areas of board?

"I have no intention of condemning this piano."

Recapping is fixing, not comdemning.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Bellieu" <sbellieu@mindspring.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: Bridgetop Extravaganza Revisited

Greg,
    It's definitely quartersawn.  I don't think it's a candidate for recapping for two reasons.  The board is dead flat across the bass bridge and lower tenor bridge (as measured from the top and confirmed on the bottom).  Also I have learned the piano was purchased by the client new some 16 yrs ago.  I have no intention of condemning this piano.  It sounded ok before.  Not spectacular bass but I have heard much worse.  I'm anticipating tight new bridge pins are going to contribute to tonal improvement up higher.
    I'm wondering about the bearing in the bottom of the piano.  How it was originally set.  Strung it showed a full 1.5 deg across the bass bridge and almost nothing on the bottom two feet of the tenor bridge.(also no front bearing in both of these locations)  Is this what flattened out the tail ?  If I relieve some of the bearing across the bass bridge will this improve the situation?  I'm used to seeing older pianos with little bearing on the bass bridge.  Opinions?

Steve Bellieu

P.S.  Thanks for all the welcomes.  I know some of you and recognize lots of other names from Journal articles and tips.