Ernie Juhn, from Webb

Thomas A. Sheehan tsheehan@nyc.rr.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:28:50 -0500

Dear Webb, Ruth and list readers,

I'm still crying about Ernie's passing. To me, he was a friend and mentor.
His generosity with his time and knowledge was invaluable to me going back
to when I first met him in 1978. Who of us who saw them can ever forget his
classes on damper regulation, with those giant action models and tools that
he built himself. His imaginative flair was always at the fore. His silly
expressions, such as "Well, that's a horse from a different garage!" or that
he would find the room marked "Gentlemen" and go in anyway! Shopworn, but as
told by Ernie, so poignant to remember now.

His service to the Guild was of immense value. Numerous stints as Institute
Director or Assistant Director, lots of service as a chapter official (all
offices at least once). The sound of his voice is now stilled; the wisdom of
his talent lives on in all of us who benefited from his tutelage. He had a
great way of walking, very brisk but not in a hurry. He lived a purposeful
life in so many ways.

I will bless the day I met him, and all the times that I was able to spend
with him, either in a group, or at his apartment in Forest Hills, Queens,
New York. His home office wall was filled with plaques and awards. His
proudest possession was his Golden Hammer Award. He never failed to show it
to me when I dropped by.

There's so much more to say about Ernie. I hope that we'll hear from others
who have been similarly touched by his humanity, love and talent.

My deep thanks to Webb and Ruth for keeping the pianotech list up-to-date
about Ernie's condition, and for spearheading the fundraising on his behalf.
Ernie was truly one of the last of the old school, and we won't see many of
his kind ever again. I celebrate his life while I mourn our loss!

Sincerely, and with great appreciation and respect to Ernie's memory,

Tom Sheehan, RPT
NYC Chapter