Soundboardcrown

Peter Kestens peter.kestens2@pandora.be
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:53:31 +0100

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org
> [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] Namens Ron Nossaman
> Verzonden: dinsdag 17 december 2002 15:25
> Aan: Pianotech
> Onderwerp: RE: Soundboardcrown
>

> Peter,
>  From your description, I wouldn't expect your board to have
> done anything
> else but go flat when you dried it.

I do not say and don't have said the board was going flat by drying it.
I only eye-checked it and saw that some crown has disappeared compare
whith the crown the board gets when it comes out of the press.  I don't
have checked it with a straight piece of wood.  It was just by eye.

I really doubted it to dry it before gluing on the ribs;  but because
I've placed last year a new bord in a Bechstein (no, I did not made it
myself) and because I did not have much crown either with that board and
because this piano sounded really very nice, (believe me I'm not the
only one who's saying this and who have heard it sounding) I've not done
it.  I dried this soundboard also before gluing it in the piano, for the
reason you can read one alinea down.

>Why would you dry it to
> glue it in the
> piano when you apparently didn't to glue on the ribs? I don't
> understand.
It is not that difficult to understand.    When you dry it, it became
flat  to place it in the piano; when it's done, because of the higher
humidity of the environment, it has to swell, ie taking an arc because
it can't move freely anymore due to the glue.

> As Del said, I hope you can get the ribs off without
> destroying the panel
> so you can start over again. In the four years or so that
> you've posted to
> the list, at least a month's worth of reading has been posted
> on soundboard
> crowning methods and expected results. Please go back and
> read some of this
> stuff, particularly the differences between rib crowning and panel
> (compression) crowning.

Believe me, I do understand it (Just for explanation: I've read and
studied the compilation of articles published in the Journal the PTG has
done concerning soundboards).
Rib crowning helps you getting more consistant soundboardcrown for a
longer period of time, but for the sound, using either crowned or flat
ribs does not change anything to the sound, as far as I know.  I only
know that using compression crowning needs more force to bend ribs and
board and, I have to say, I hope that using this method gives more
strenght and stiffnes to the ribs (ie, soundboard).  Isn't this the
ultimate goal?  Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Greetings,

Peter