Soundboardcrown

Peter Kestens peter.kestens2@pandora.be
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:48:28 +0100

Dell,

Thanks anyway for your reply.

Peter

> There is not much information to go on here, but...
>

> If you put no crown in the ribs, where did your initial crown
> come from? What was the moisture content of the soundboard
> panel when you glued the ribs on? Is your soundboard press
> curved? If so, what is the radius of the curve?

Dell, the initial crown came from the press itself.  Blowing up the
hoses that'll press the ribs on the board, will bend the wood of the
press for about half an inch.  Really, you can see raising the wood of
the press.  You also see bending the board for at least that amount.
Moisture content of the wood I can't tell you.  I can't measure it.  But
environment humidity is about 60%, a normal amount in Belgium.

As you can think already, the press is not curved, but if I decide to
curve it, what's the amount you suggest?

> Typically, if you are going to depend on just the curve of
> the rib-to-soundboard press to form your crown you would want
> to end up with a whole lot more than 3/8" crown (on the
> longest ribs) when it comes out of the press.

Does this also means that one looses a certain amount of crown a few
days, weeks after the board came out the press?