Epoxy Repair to bridge top

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:28:09 -0600

>Folks,
>         I've never done this procedure but I have a question. When
> planning and re notching the bass bridge you could be removing a
> significant amount of material. What does this do to the downbearing
> measurements? Is this a significant area of concern? .... o.k. 2 questions.
>
>Greg Newell

The shorter the back scale, the more significant any given shortening of
the bridge is. Now consider what you're planing the bridge top down to.
Maybe the bottom (or even not quite the bottom ) of the string grooves,
where the strings were already sitting before you removed them? And this
lessens the bearing how much?

Right. Now consider that you will be re-setting the bearing anyway, with
plate height and/or aliquot grinding or shimming, because the piano is XXX
years old, and lack of bearing is likely one of the reasons you're
stringing it in the first place.

So you'll have to deal with it in any case. Just don't plane off
unnecessary amounts of bridge cap and you won't change it much - if at all.

Ron N