Wooden action parts

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:14:19 -0800

	A few additional words on the teflon flange and bushing thread that I decided
to put in a separate post.  My own feeling is that any non-moving part of the
action would be better made of stable material (not affected by temperature or
humidity).  This rules out wood.  The parts in question:  keyframe, brackets,
rails, and flanges.  Brackets are universally of metal now, I believe.  Rails
often are.  Why not the keyframe and flanges?  Any reasons to make them of
wood?  Any pianos out there with these parts non-wood?
	I had a conversation a few years ago with someone from Bechstein.  I
mentioned this to him and he said something to the effect that when the hammer
hits the string vibrations travel through the action parts, rails, etc. to the
key.  Therefore these parts need to be wood to transfer the 'proper'
vibrations.  Any thoughts on this?  I agree that it's important to feel the
piano's vibrations in the keys as you're playing.  I had always assumed that
this was coming through the keybed and keyframe to the key, and not back
through the action from the hammer.  Regardless, I can't see that having metal
in the path rather than wood would damp these vibrations.  It probably would
damp them less.  This could result in a different feeling at the key, which
might be better or worse.  It seems something that could be established by a
manufacturer fairly easily.  Has any manufacturer experimented with this?

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 215