Humidity Quick Zap

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 05:56:03 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don" <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: Humidity Quick Zap

> Hi Bill,
>
> So why do *forced* drying methods lead to even looser centers than the
> overnight natural drying then? Something is wrong with the theory of
> "compression set" I fear.

The analogy I heard about felt was that it is similar to Chinese handcuffs.
You know, the braided tube you put your fingers in and they can't back out.
The wool fibers are the same way. Once interlocked, movement will cause the
fibers to tighten. *Swelling and shrinking (from moisture changes)
constitutes movement.*  Rapid movement and the fibers grab, slow movement
and the fibers can slip back closer to their original state. Perhaps this is
why wool garments shrink in the dryer.

The other statement I heard and haven't been able to elicit an explanation
to clarify, was, *Alcohol changes the chemical make-up of the felt.*
Perhaps the lanolin (I think it is the natural sheep oil found in wool),
gets washed out, leaving a *dryer* felt. Any chemists out there who would
know if there is an actual chemical reaction from the alcohol?
Keith R