digital keyboards

Mark Wisner mwisner@yamaha.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:56:30 -0800

--=_B5E972C9.1776024E
Until last year, Yamaha did make a piano as you described.
The GranTouch (GT) series had conventional grand actions that hit a =
rebound bar instead of strings.  The actions had sensors that would detect =
hammer velocity and transmit that information to both a 30MB piano sample =
of a CFIIIS or to the MIDI out port as conventional MIDI data.=20

Mark Wisner
Yamaha Corporation
mwisner@yamaha.com

>>> remoody@midstatesd.net 12/10/02 05:24PM >>>

> Purely subjectivley I would say that the midi+sample solution
sounds better
> than most =A31000 pianos. I wonder if you can get keyboards that
have a "real"
> action - that is a major drawback IMO.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nathan

My sentiments exactly.  I can't believe a super Corp.  like Yamaha
has not done this, offered one of their "real piano actions" as a
midi work station.
Even if they used the action from the CP 80  they would have much
more by far than what is being offered.  The Suzuki ads show a
feeble attempt.  I "touched" a suzuki and it felt like another
genera of so called "weighted keyboards".   I wonder what the
price is.
A piano action cannot cost more than 3,000.  You don't need the
dampers.   I have dropped hints to Ron O and now I am going to
work on Roger J.

If the big companies aren't going to do it then it will take an
indivudual with start up capital to  order 1000 grand actions from
an __________ producer figure out the strike pads, wire it up and
start selling.   But I can't believe Baldwin, Kawai, or Yamaha not
doing this themselves given their past with electronic keyboards.
    We can only gain from this because it will take a piano tuner
to regulate it.    ----ric