Non-smelly Hammer Juice

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:25:03 EST

<<"But by "filing" do you mean taking off felt?
> I don't understand that idea on new hammers. Or are you really talking
> about
> just "polishing" them with some fine-grit emery paper?">>

Alan;
 Hammers that are 'ready to hang' are not needfully 'ready to
Bass hammers more so than treble thingees................... There are
'usually' improvements which may be made to the tonal quality of new Bass
hammers. Depending on the hammers used they may be 'cupped',  'dished', 'off
center' (vis a vis strike point/moulding) have a 'soft layer' of felt on top,
in need of shaping, etc...etc.....
 Yes, new hammers in many cases need to be filed/shaped removing felt in the
process....'new' does not mean 'ready for use'.............
Jim Bryant (FL)