Epoxy, was: Chewed up legs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:19:13 -0500

I've used it. I did the thing of swiping tuning pin holes in a pinblock for restringing. Worked OK, but quite a bit of hassle I thought. Plugging worked much better and was easier, IMHO.

Judging by the odor of it, it is a polyester resin (just my best guess). Polyester is not nearly as strong as good epoxy. A wide variety of fillers with all sort of different properties are available for mixing with epoxy resin. Some, like high-strengh adhesive filler cure like steel. Others like microballons fairing filler result in an extremely low density solid that sands easier than spruce. I suspect the "Wood Rebuilder" is best used as a wood filler - although epoxy can be used that way also - perhaps it works better than epoxy for the tuning pin thing - I think the filler is actually part chewed up wood fiber. As I will likely not ever swab tuning pin holes again, I don't see the use for it. As I have a gallon on epoxy on my shelf at all times and a variety of fillers, I don't think I'll order any more of the "Wood Rebuilder".

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Chick (EarthLink)" <tune4@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: Epoxy, was: Chewed up legs

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 7:47 PM

  In a message dated 12/10/2002 1:12:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

    Subj: Epoxy, was: Chewed up legs
    Date: 12/10/2002 1:12:46 PM Pacific Standard Time
    From: mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet

             Terry

                 Thanks for the info on the epoxy. Although I haven't used much Epoxy I do now know that there are industrial grades that exceed my enthusiasms of any  prior usage and I know where to get it.
              Thanks--Dale

    When epoxy is found to have failed, it is most often in the bond between the wood and the epoxy. The "putty" type of epoxies are susceptible to this type of failure.,
    Terry Farrell

  Dale, Terry, and All
  Has anyone tried "Wood Rebuilder" sold by Webb and Ruth Philips of Webb Philips & Associates webb50@comcast.net  They're also a great source for lacquer and poly repair supplies. It does very well what it's name implies. You control the thickness and set up time.  It is very strong, can be shaped with common shop tools, takes stain and finish. The largest task I used it on was a bench lid corner and leg chewed up by a dog. It bonded well and was easy to shape stain, grain and finish.

  Paul Chick