Acute KSD* -- How it came out

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:09:05 -0600

Conrad Hoffsommer  posted this: "Inquiring minds want to know...  Have =
you yet determined the cause?" in reference to the Keyboard Schlump =
Disease in the Baldwin 6000.=20

Well ... I just got back to that piano today. Here's what I did and what =
I learned ....

Made sure the action was sitting properly on the posts and that the =
three pedal rods were properly set. Checked blow distance and damper =
functioning..

There was zip, zero, nada lost motion: adjusted ALL capstans.=20

There are no screws that I could find to adjust the height of the center =
rail, as someone suggested. Also, one key might be low but adjacent to =
another that is high--not whole sections too high or low.

Measured white key heights and selected the height I wanted--shoulda =
looked it up in Baldwin specs but didn't have them with me (oops).

Leveled whites and then set all sharps 1/2" with Jarvis tool. I added as =
much as .025" to some keys and 6 were so low I started by using a much =
thicker felt punching. Others were so high that even the thinnest felt =
was too much and (true confessions) I got out the 80 grit.

Readjusted capstan heights, tweaked let-off, and thoroughly tested all =
keys.

Piano looks much better and plays just fine.

Part of the problem, and there's a lesson here that I learned, is that =
this piano was in a humid bar for a few years--many of the bass hammer =
heads had "popped" off their moldings. The keys are long and many have =
big dog legs. Some are warped and canted enough that they give an =
appearance of uneven heights even when leveled as best they can be. One =
key was so bad, I asked Baldwin to send a replacement--just before the =
bankruptcy and sale. Believe it or not, I actually got the new key, no =
charge, and it only took three months of nagging ... er ... reminding =
them that they had promised it.

What caused the KSD in the first place?=20

I haven't got the foggiest idea. I can tell you that the center rail =
felts were all original little brown Baldwins and what little paper was =
under them was in such a condition that I'm certain it was factory =
original, too. You might be thinking that only the warped keys ended up =
at strange heights, but it's not true.=20

Weird. If I go back and find it uneven again, I'm calling an exorcist.

Alan Barnard
Stumped & Schlumped in Salem, MO