1906 Steinway Upright

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:20:34 EST

In a message dated 12/10/2002 8:17:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I own a 1900 Steinway upright and an 1893 Steinway upright. I have gotten
> both in the last couple years. The 1900 was refinished in ebony about 10
> years ago (so, so job - not rubbed out), it needs complete rebuilding. I
> paid $500 for it. The 1893 (nicer piano) has a bent laminated rim, and is
> all original and completely worn out - needs complete rebuilding. I paid $0
> for it.

     Terry --I bought Stwy 1891 black victorian stlye case for 250 dollars.
What a piece of engineering. That bent rim back system would cost a load of
cash to produce in this day and age. By the way The board had excellent crown
and modest bearing. Bridges all fine The pianos sounds amazingly good for a
centenarian. I believe many Stwy uprights have survived so well because of
the relatively closed up construction of the cabinets to ambient air flow.
   Alan These pianos can go from 6 to 10 k or more depending on age condition
and the extent and quality of the rebuilding work done. These pianos actions
are difficult to rebuild and regulate especially the ones with the sostenuto
feature such as the 1891. As I recollect you must get the damper off before
the butt comes out.
    I wouldn't pay more than  a thousand for one myself as the actions are
more difficult to rebuild than the grands, IMHO, and I've rebuilt a few over
the years. Awesome sounding pianos. My first personal stwy a model K 1912.
Wow!
      Dale