felt in hammers

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:34:58 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: digital keyboards

> Richard,
>
> Sadly, I'm afraid you're right about the sound issue. (Yes, I
got the
> newsletter with the article on hammer "voicing." The rumbling
you felt was
> from all of those early piano designers and builders rolling
over in their
> graves and plugging their ears.)
>
> Del

Heheh, but pathetic is no laughing matter.    I am sure you have
read the American Steel and Wire transcripts of the meetings of
the manufacturers from 1906 through 1918.   Now a lot is hype as
when the felt man says he can feel a fleece and tell the breed,
the age and which side of the animal it came from.  But I am
wondering if the quality of the felt that comes to the felters,
(those who make the sheets that are then cut up and put into
hammer presses)  is what is needed for a piano hammer.   I have a
hunch that breed specific wool is what is needed, and I would
gladly submit the fleeces of Ramboulet or Ramboulet Colombian
cross, to the felter who supplies the hammer maker. The wool of
wethers might be even better.  The  springingness of Ramboulet
wool should make for a very reboundable hammer.  Did you ever come
across Pfhreimer (sp?)hammers... Weren't they used on 70's
Wurlitizers and others?   They seemed soft but they were as loud
as you wanted.  ---rm