1906 Steinway Upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:15:54 -0500

I own a 1900 Steinway upright and an 1893 Steinway upright. I have gotten both in the last couple years. The 1900 was refinished in ebony about 10 years ago (so, so job - not rubbed out), it needs complete rebuilding. I paid $500 for it. The 1893 (nicer piano) has a bent laminated rim, and is all original and completely worn out - needs complete rebuilding. I paid $0 for it.

If the lady says it was given to her, well then, sounds like she should know exactly what it is worth. Yes?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: <tune4u@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 11:02 PM
Subject: 1906 Steinway Upright

1.  I know this is a toughie, valuing old pianos, but this is an S&S after-all (and la-di-da). What kind of prices have y'all seen for old Steinway uprights, typically, if it is:

   A.  Unrestored but playable and no serious problems, minor veneerial disease ... OR

   B.   Rebuilt and refinished.

2.  Is there any reasonable way to remove a Steinway double flange assembly, hammer, and butt without disassembling the whole action?

3. I love the little "C" shaped spoons that curve around the wippen flange screw!

This is the lady who said this piano was given (wow!) to her mother 40+ years ago. But she doesn't really like it and hardly ever plays it. Might want to sell .... any interest out there?

Anyway, the kind of answer's I can get to the value questions will effect how much income is in this piano for--to quote the inimitable Miss Piggy--Moi.

Thanks,

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO