digital keyboards

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:58:41 -0800

Personally, I'd prefer an actual piano over a keyboard, mainly because of
the sound, and second - the action.  (probably a "low" priority because
I've gotten used to playing pianos that are quite far out of
regulation...)  A digital would be nice for when I want to take it places
and don't have a way to lug a large upright or grand around...  although
I DO think a Yamaha DCFIIISAPRO (
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gDKG00002DCFIIISAPRO
) would be a nice piano to have, although I'd want to have some voicing
done on it.  If I was limited on space, though, and I wanted a good
sound, I'd maybe want to get a large (57" by 64" or larger) upright,
restore it, put a Fandrich Vertical Action in it if I wanted a nice
action (or try to regulate/restore whatever's in there as best as
possible), buy a Yamaha Clavinova or another digital keyboard, gut it,
and put it in the piano.  IF I had the $, though.  ;)

----- Original message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:43:20 -0500
Subject: Re: digital keyboards

I often get calls from folks (typically parents looking for an instrument
for a youngster) asking whether a keyboard or a piano is better. Because
of all the reasons listed in these recent posts, I simply tell them that
they are two different instruments. Do you want to play an accordion or
an organ? Pick one, or both, and learn to play. I can point out the
differences between them. I can point out the similarities. I can point
out what piano teachers say about parents that won't buy a piano but
rather have the kid practice on a $120 Radio Shack keyboard. I can even
make many of the points listed in these posts of why some folks enjoy one
over the other, but one is not necessarily better than the other.

I maintain this fair, even handed, open minded view, even if pianos are
actually WAY better than any digital will ever be. Ever.

Terry Farrell