digital keyboards

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:32:38 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: digital keyboards

> One of the limitations of the digital keyboard is, ...... I've
noticed the same disconnect with people listening to even very
good
> audio systems. The same sound that elicits "Wow, doesn't that
piano sound great" coming from the audio system would be "What's
wrong with that piano" if it were coming from the piano itself.

> Del

With the sound of the  piano in recordings becoming more and more
shrill, (how many got the news letter that shows soaking the
hammer in lacquer?), the digital is closer than ever to the
"acoustic" sound.   Actually I think someone will tweak a digital
keyboard sound that people will like better than the "acoustic"
sound for many but not all situations.   Already portable
keyboards under $500  can earn a good nights wages playing solo in
bars, clubs, parties, weddings, or the venues of solo piano
entertainment still going today.  Except for classical music I
don't care whether I am playing a piano or a digital.  And with a
digital, if I want a remarkable pipe organ, B3, harpsichord or
electric piano sound, I have it all plus much more at a touch of a
button.
    Anyone who pursues a career that involves piano playing,
except for the concert artist, will also play a digital keyboard
for part of his or her wages.  When I tuned for Broadway type
musicals, there was always one or two or three electronic
keyboards in the pit.  I don't know what the scale (Union) is
today but there is a lot of money to be made for players who can
double on "digitals", or, for those who can't, a lot of jobs out
of reach.
    Today I tuned one of the last US made Wurlitzer consoles.  I
couldn't ask what they paid for it as I was hired by the company
that sold it.   But even if only $3,000 I would much rather spend
$2,000 on a digital and have 1,000 to buy a nice computer to hook
it up to.
    In 2001 I purchased a Yamaha PSR-340 "portable keyboard".  The
major gripe is only 61 notes, but the 3.5 floppy disk drive sold
me and the price was right, $360 after tax.   I have had more fun
with that machine than any piano I have owned.  What attracted my
attention was the piano sound.  Clearly an "imitation" but great
for playing along with any of the 200 pre programmed rhythm
patterns of a very live sounding percussion section of 20
different instruments.
      The question becomes, how much do you have to spend to get a
better piano  than a $1,000 digital?  So the market for the $4,000
and under piano is being challenged by the digitals.  Big deal.
Think about how the crappy pianos limp along for 40 or 60 years
and get tuned maybe 6 to 10 times if they are lucky.   Is that
what you call loosing piano tuning business?  I would rather see
one high end piano sold that will get tuned once a year, than 10
low end pianos sold that will get tuned once every 6 years.

Of course for a real quality piano that will retain its value you
want a grand between $10,000 and $20,000.  If that price point is
too high then offer $1,500 for a certain Knabe upright in a cafe
in Wessington Springs SD, which 'as is', will blow the panels off
most uprights in existence, well except maybe the Bush and Lane in
Platte SD, but that has been refinished so you might need $2500.
Vintage SnS uprights that are as good are worth, what, $3,000 to $
5,000?
    While the sales of digitals might cut into the sale of
"acoustics" I think the interest generated by the digitals will
spur the interest of higher end pianos  resulting in increased
sales of quality pianos.  I think the bottom line of value is that
pianos will always have a potential for investment that "digitals"
never will.  Actually I mean the bottom line of value is how good
a musical instrument sounds.---ric