Tuning levers, more fuel for the fire

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:46:39 -0500

Folks,
         I never expected to get so much mileage from what I thought was a
simple topic. Thanks to one and all who have posted your ideas about tuning
levers. I found it all to be very valuable as I'm sure many after me will
as well. Ya gotta love those archives :-)
         I have settled on a Watanabe as I posted earlier in part because
it is like my old Hale lever and in part because I just had to have an
extension lever. BTW it's an octagonal shaft not hexagonal as , I think,
someone posted. It seems stiff enough to me and there is a good match
between the body / shank/ and collet. There are no clicks of any kind and
no excess play that I can tell and what's perhaps most important is that
the tip fits quite well.
         All this brings me to my only problem with the lever and that is
the diameter of the handle. I'd like it to be at least 30% (S.W.A.G.)
thicker and perhaps with a ball or teardrop shape at the end, I don't know.
Has anyone ever turned a new handle for their old extension lever? Can they
be effectively separated from the steel collet and shank assembly? Can one
obtain all the pieces of an extension lever such as the Watanabe
(specifically) and turn their own handle? I guess I could just call
Pianotek but I don't think they're in just now (11:45).

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net