BaldwinSF-10

Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:01:18 -0800

Isaac hammers would also sound good on this piano.

David Love

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: December 09, 2002 5:53 PM
  Subject: Re: BaldwinSF-10

  In a message dated 12/8/2002 3:50:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj: BaldwinSF-10=20
    Date: 12/8/2002 3:50:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
    From: B214cm@aol.com
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

                George

                        I may have missed it but did you get any replies =
to this quierie? I think a Renner blue, or Ronsen would be a fine choice =
depending what your voicing style, experience and voicing  preference =
is.=20
      Baldwin actions are set up kinda squirrly so I'd want to do some =
preliminary action anylisis to see how good the leverage is. Generally a =
1 7/8 blow distance with shallowish dip.  A 9 ft. will probably benifit  =
tonally from heavier strike/hammer weight. Experiment and see.
      I suspect th Renners were inapropriately handled by a novice =
voicer. I doubt the hammers at fault.
       The Ronsen will probably need a little light weight juicing and =
probably not much needling. The Renner generally needs a fair bit of =
needle work. Either way you can get there.
    Hope that helps
        Dale Erwin

    A friend of mine has a three yr old Baldwin SF-10 with Renner =
hammers which seem to have been butchered  by a factory voicer,ie. =
(lacquered,crowns torn-up  by needling).She wants to replace them.Anyone =
have any suggestions as to what type of hammer would work well with this =
piano.I was thinking Renner Blues or Ronsens.Before you ask ,yes this is =
how the piano arrived at the dealer,the hammers were not worked on by =
the dealers Tech,as I inspected the piano for her the very day they =
un-crated it .I still reccomended for her to purchase it,as she loved =
it.So did I.    Could be why she got such a good deal on the =
piano.Thanks in advance for your suggestions!    George Fiore     So. =
Jersey Chapter=20