Question re: Bridge Pins

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 22:54:50 -0600

>>What would happen if a string were passed straight over the bridge without
pins, like on a violin? <<

No need to do any experiments. There are many pianos that have bridges that
have cracked and split to the point that the pins are moot and there is no
side bearing. The strings rattle and buzz like crazy. There is not enough
down bearing in the absence of side bearing. In pianos, the angle of
deflection as it passes over the bridge is very slight compared to a violin.
In fact, some pianos sound fine with no measurable downbearing, which would
not be possible without the side bearing provided by the bridge pins.

Dave Bunch