Rib grain orientation (not grain oriented)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 01:38:19 +0100

Hello,

I've been told that Bösendorfer glue their boards at 5% MC, on crowned
ribs in shaped cauls.
So then the board is by evidence going to get some tension by the
rehydrating, and certainly some crown is build then too.

The 2.75 M model is given with a high crown (radius un known) and up
to 8 mm DB(distance bearing del !) that is more than 1.5 ° if memory
serves on these pianos (generous back scales)

Then I can suppose that the down bearing use the responsiveness of the
soundboard, and the remaining crown is only due to the ribbing (that
would be why these pianos are so stable too)

Don't we need to build some internal tension on the panel too ?

I had a few explanations by a friend, about the "neutral fibers of the
panel " being placed differently (more central) on CC and curved rib
solution, and as a result the CC crowned being more stiff (but more
prone to suffer).
Don't figure it yet, any clearing ?

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG