Rib grain orientation

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:57:05 +1100

Hi all,

I have been wondering about the merit (one which seems to be a long
standing tradition) in orienting the rib grain such that the growth
rings run vertically, to set the medullary rays parallel to the sound
board panel.

Now I can understand the logic behind this with the CC guys, since
they are likely to achieve a higher crown when the panel re-hydrates.
However, in the case of rib crowned construction, wouldn't it be
advantageous to set the grain in the rib such that the growth rings
are horizontal and the medullary rays perpendicular to the sound
board panel? I am contemplating setting the rib grain this way for
piano no. 004 (both 004 and 005 are now sold before completion, which
is quite a relief).

Dale, Del and Ron N., and any others who may be using RC
construction. What are your thoughts on this matter?

By the way, we decided to build the cut-off as a laminated curve (I
can't remember if I've mentioned this previously on the list, since I
had originally planned to make it from scarfed material). We
increased the cut-off rail section size to 50 mm wide by 35 mm deep,
using 17 laminates of 2.9 mm thickness. I will try bending it with 4
mm laminates for piano 006. When cutting and drum sanding the
laminates at 3 mm it is quite wasteful of wood. I'll get some photos
of the buck and cut-off scanned and onto the website soon.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers