rear string lengths - APRON

Fri, 6 Dec 2002 12:44:02 -0800

Re: rear string lengthsAh, Isaac, how could you have possibly missed one =
of my many tirades against the use of bridge cantilevers (a more =
descriptive word than apron)? I've written about these atrocities =
numerous times.=20

There is never a good reason for incorporating these hideous devices =
into a piano design, large or small. They can always be designed out of =
the system. It all started with the equally bad notion that the speaking =
length of A-1 must always be as long as possible -- especially in short =
pianos.

I've not time just now but I'll look up one of the pieces I've written =
and email it to you privately along with a drawing that illustrates the =
stresses these things place on the soundboard.

Del

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac OLEG=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: December 06, 2002 11:23 AM
  Subject: RE: rear string lengths - APRON

  Is not the use of an apron (suspended bass bridge) and short back =
scale allow for maximum string length on shorter grand's.?

  Then, may the bearing be apparently higher ? (because the actual =
pressure of the bridge on the soundboard is in fact far away from the =
pins ?

  The little Gaveau I have in mind here is having a lot of bearing =
apparently on the bass bridge, but there is an apron, and it does not =
seem to lock the system.

  regards.

  Isaac OLEG