Acute KSD*

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:15:33 EST

In a message dated 12/6/02 10:15:07 AM Central Standard Time,
tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

> Patient is a Baldwin 6000
>
> Key height gone all weird with areas of "schlumped" keys giving the keys a
> scalloped look up and down the keyboard--like a shallow sine wave. It's not
> individual keys, but groups of maybe 8-10 keys involved.
>
> Bed does not appear warped, from underneath. No visible damage under the
> keys. No critters have eaten the punchings. No foreign objects on or under
> the key rest felt. Owner says the problem has been getting worse.
>
> I was all set to just go level those keys and reregulate but afraid I'm
> overlooking the real disease ...
>
> Anyone???
>
> Alan Barnard
>  Stumped in Salem, MO

The hammer rest rail might be pushed forward, creating an excessive amount of
lost motion. This sometimes happens when the player uses the left pedal too
much, and the top of the soft pedal rod jumps out of its hole in the rest
rail, and the rail is actually resting on top of the pin on the top of the
rod. With nothing pushing the keys down, they kind of "float," creating a
very uneven look.

Just an idea.

Wim