Bolduc Glue

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:10:32 -0600

>>Has anyone had experience taking apart and cleaning surfaces with a
>>yellow glue joint? Or are we going to have to wait 50 - 100 years to find
>>this out?
>>Terry Farrell
>
>Anyone who has had the arduous task of rebuilding a player stack which had
>been previously
>rebuilt with white or yellow glue knows first hand not to make the same
>mistake.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician

I certainly agree with Jon on the player stacks. The damage the last guy
did getting the hide glue joints apart (then randomly gluing the splinters
back together without having cleaned anything up), and the damage I'll do
breaking apart the new and surprisingly more extensive glue joints and
cleaning the combination rock-hard/rubbery mixture of old hide glue and
whatever goo of the moment the last guy used from soft poplar (and making
new parts) is why I add considerably to my price for second time rebuilds.

The length of that last sentence notwithstanding, using an appropriate PVA
glue on soundboard joints is a vastly different concern. It's worlds easier
to get the remains of any water and heat softened glue and the remains of
splintered spruce off of a rim.

Ron N