shank length

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:29:08 -0500

At 3:20 PM -0500 12/5/02, A440A@aol.com wrote:
>   Hmm, hope we ain't into a semantic whirlpool.  I was assuming (which I
>shouldn't have been),  that the capstan line would also move 3 mm distally to
>stay with the whippens.  If THAT happened, for a given dip, the hammer is
>going to travel a lot more, no?  Along with my unwarranted assumption,  I
>suppose I should have said "increased travel" of the whippens.

Naw, Jon was looking for a faux relocation of the cap line. He was
planning on keeping the keyframe and the hammer strikepoint in the
same place, hoping that if he moved the stack away from the key
balance, the new lift point on the rep cushion (3mm distal, as you
say) and the slightly shortened lever arm of the shank would reduce
the weight of the hammer as felt at the key. It would, but not nearly
as quickly as moving the knuckle out or the cap line in (towards the
key balance).

By the time the initial responses came in, he'd already talked
himself out if this trick. I admit it is alot easier to move the
hammer line than the cap line.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math