rear string lengths

Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:24:07 -0800

Re: rear string lengthsShould the backscale length be taken into =
consideration when setting down bearing?  Since a shorter backscale =
doesn't allow as much freedom of movement for the bridge, would you, =
then, consider reducing the bearing on a piano, or section, that had a =
shorter backscale, and vice versa?  Is there some formula or general =
rule of thumb for this.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Overs=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: December 05, 2002 2:40 PM
  Subject: Re: rear string lengths

  <snip>

  So I took the opportunity to rectify the down bearing by building =
taller bridges instead of lowering the plate, since already I had begun =
to suspect that tall bridges helped sustaining qualities. When the =
bearing was finally set this piano ended up with a nearly 40 mm high =
treble bridge in the mid section (with an unstrung down bearing setting =
of 6 mm - 4 of which typically sinks out during the stringing). The =
sustain of this piano is very good.=20

  <snip>