self-tuning piano?

Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:15:31 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Fox" <sarah@gendernet.org>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 05, 2002 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: self-tuning piano?

> Hi all,
>
> > > Sounds like this guy is "infultrating" the PTG in order to gain as
> > > much "inside" knowledge as posiible to help him PUT US OUT OF
> > > BUSINESS! I know that isn't likely, at least not in the near future,
> > > but that's the plan, right; to make us OBSOLETE.
>
> But don't forget...
>
> Doesn't a higher-tensioned string produce better sound?

Not necessarily. If this were the case then surely some of the old Sohmer
grands, with their aggregate tensions in the 64,000+ lb range, would be
among world's greatest sounding pianos. Unfortunately, they are not.

In general pianos with higher string tensions will sound harder and more
percussive. Pianos with lower string tensions will sound more pure and
dynamic. Note that I said "in general." There are many other factors
involved that affect the overall tone quality of the piano. An overall
string tension scheme and the soundboard and rim design should be, but most
often are not, carefully matched.

And then there is the question of length vs. tension. Are we referring to a
long high-tension scale (using relatively small wire diameters) or a short
high-tension scale? A long low-tension scale or a short one?

There are way too many variables to make generalized statements like "a
higher-tensioned string produces a 'better' sound."

> Autotuning is a very cool idea, particularly if it can be used to maintain
> the perfect custom tuning, but I'm not satisfied the bugs are worked out,
> and as a consumer/pianist, I don't think I'd touch it with a ten-foot
pole.

An astute observation, this. I am also not convinced the bugs are quite
worked out. I will allow that the idea used in this effort has more
potential than the hydraulic method, but....we'll see.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder