Tuning levers

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 21:40:35 -0600

>Ron,
>
>I've done a lot of study on the different MOE's of titanium vs steel.
>It's true that titanium is slightly more elastic than steel; but, with a
>10" or 11" lever, I think the real question should be, So what? All
>metals deflect to some extent.  My own personal opinion is that this
>business of flexation is highly overrated. However I'd like to hear from
>other techs and hear if flexation has ever been a problem while tuning
>(other than with extension hammers).
>
>Charles Faulk

Hi Charles,
Everything I've found says titanium alloys are a little more than half the
MOE of steel. Most of what I read from other tech indicates that they think
titanium is stiffer than steel. T'aint so. Lower flex is, as far as I can
tell, the nearly universally stated desirable attribute of a tuning lever
shaft. Light weight seems to be next. Someone making a tuning lever from
titanium using dimensions similar to those they would use for steel, and
expecting the shaft to be stiffer are going to be disappointed. It will be
lighter, but it won't be nearly as stiff. I'm not at all concerned how
stiffness or weight is rated in the evaluation of tuning levers. I simply
thought it would be a good idea for anyone intending to make their own
lever (or anything else, for that matter) to learn enough about the
intended construction material to make intelligent design choices when they
are determining dimensions.

Ron N