audible resultant from two supersonic frequencies?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 02:24:32 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Sarah Fox <sarah@gendernet.org>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: audible resultant from two supersonic frequencies?

>  I don't doubt the creation
> of a 500 Hz signal, but I'm not sure really what is going on
with this
> experiment.

What did you think of the sound?

> Playing two notes very loudly on the piano is probably a better
test, since
> nonlinearities are known in string behavior and since it is
quite possible
> for movement induced by one string to modulate the vibratory
behavior of an
> adjacent string -- probably with both frequency- and
amplitude-modulation
> components.  Very messy!

Yes there is stuff happening that will take another 1,000 years to
comprehend as far as the human mind is concerned.  Meanwhile I am
amazed at how good pianos sound especially right after they are
tuned.     ---rm

 Adding to the messiness are the unisons, whose