audible resultant from two supersonic frequencies?

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:39:56 -0500

Here's an experiment you can all do, and all you need is a piano.

Play C6 and F#6 together, as loudly as you can.  If the theory is correct,
the resultant between F#6 (1484 Hz) and C6 (1050.5 Hz) will be 433.5 Hz,
which is just 25 cents below A4.

I tried this, not expecting to hear any resultant.  I was quite surprised
to hear a faint A4, or something like it.  But as I listened, I noticed
that the A4 resultant behaved strangely.  As soon as the C6 and F#6 began
to decay, the A4 resultant suddenly dropped out.  It did not gradually
decay.  And if I play C6 and F#6 together softly, I hear no A4 resultant at
all.  This leads me to believe that the A4 resultant is not being caused by
C6 and F#6 beating together in the usual fashion.  If that were the case,
the resultant would decay exactly the same as the two primary
notes.  Instead, I think this is a case of non-linear mixing (as alluded to
by Sarah Fox several days ago).  When the volume level falls below the
threshold for making the distortion or buzzing, then the resultant tone
suddenly stops.

There are lots of opportunities for non-linear mixing when playing two
notes on a piano.  No piano is perfectly solid.  If there is a loose screw
somewhere, or if two parts of the piano are just barely touching, then you
will have non-linear mixing.  (In the extreme case, these conditions cause
noticeable buzzing.)  At high volume levels, there can even be non-linear
mixing in our ears, when the bones that carry the sound from the eardrum
reach the limit of their travel.  In fact it is difficult to guarantee a
purely linear addition of two tones.  Any distortion of the sound causes
the component sounds to interact non-linearly, and thus produce real
acoustic energy at the resultant frequency.  For example, Don Mannino's
suggestion:

>....Back to your original question, Ric. I made a recording for you, and
>you can hear the resultant tone.  I made a wav file of 20K and 20.5K
>tones, one in each ear.  Then I combined them into a single mono file.  If
>you play it in good headphones and turn up the volume loud, you can just
>hear the 500hz tone as a pitch.

The process of making wav files includes time-sampling and quantization,
both of which are somewhat non-linear.  If there is a 500 Hz resultant in
Don's wav file, it is probably an artifact of the imperfections of the
recording process.  If it were possible to record 20 kHz and 20.5 kHz tones
and mix them with no distortion at all, then there would be no 500 Hz
resultant.  Since it is hard to find such a perfect recording system, then
the theory can perhaps be tested by finding a poorer recording system - one
with more distortion.  If my theory is correct, the resultant tone should
be even stronger when played on such a system with more distortion.

-Bob Scott
  Ypsilanti, MI