Tuning levers

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:41:10 EST

In a message dated 12/2/02 9:10:32 AM, tune4@earthlink.net writes:

<< I've

recently switched to the small adjustable rosewood handled lever from

Schaff.  >>

I've been using that lever for 5 years now and have been happy with it.
However, this past week I finally coughed up the money to buy one of Mike
McClanahan's titanium shafted levers and have tuned 6 pianos with it so far.
I first saw them at the convention this past summer and was attracted to them
for their short length: the same as my Schaff lever.

Well, I can't believe the difference!  I never realized how much my old
tuning lever flexed with every turn.  The weight distribution is also more
pleasing in my new lever.  With less weight at the tip, I can move it from
pin to pin more easily.  I haven't weighed the two of them for a comparison,
but it seems lighter overall.

I also enjoy the shape of the handle, which is similar to some of the Renner
levers I saw at the convention, with the handle culminating in a ball at the
end.  It gives me several different ways to comfortably grip the handle,
which helps defeat fatigue.

I've read about the advantages of titanium shafts here on the list (lighter,
stiffer).  From my limited experience, it's true.  If you're considering a
new tuning lever, try one with a titanium shaft.

Tom S